Is your New Year’s Resolution to stay healthy? Being healthy isn’t just about cutting back on chocolate or making sure you do a half-hour of cardio every day (although it helps!). Here’s a few other ways that you can keep your health in check in 2017 besides eating right and exercising.
- Schedule your yearly check-ups with your primary doctor. Your annual physical is covered under most health insurance providers. Your physical may uncover health issues like high blood pressure or cholesterol that can be taken care of before it’s too late with medication or other recommendations from your doctor. It’s covered (not including copay) so why not go?
- Don’t hesitate to go to the doctor for other reasons. Did you injure your back but continued to lift heavy items? Felt dizzy several times at work but ignored it? If you are feeling sick, injured, or are concerned about a potential health issue, don’t brush it off. Visiting a doctor and finding out what’s wrong—or if there’s anything wrong at all—can at the very least prevent any future problems.
- Use your dental and vision plans. If you are covered by dental and vision insurance, don’t hesitate to get your teeth cleaned, x-rays done, and get an eye exam. These basic procedures are usually covered under your insurance. Things that go undetected like bad eyesight and cavities will only hurt you in the long run if you don’t get them checked out.
- Get immunizations. Under your health care plan, immunizations for diseases like the flu are usually covered/have no additional charge. Check with your primary care doctor which immunizations you are due for. A flu shot will sting – but it’s worth it compared to a week’s worth of being sick!
- Keep mentally healthy. If you are feeling depressed or anxious, talk to your primary care physician, who may recommend mental health outpatient services like a therapist. Mental and physical health have been found to be linked, according to Psych Central. Depending on your health care plan, mental/behavioral health services may have a coinsurance. For instance, Horizon BCBSNJ’s OMNIA Bronze plan has 50% coinsurance after deductible for mental/behavioral outpatient services.
Remember, there are more ways to keep yourself healthy besides going to the gym and eating vegetables. Taking the steps listed above for your New Year’s Resolution will have you on your way to a healthy 2017!